September 26, 2011

Back in Business

The Internet conked out Saturday.  Smack in the middle of paying bills (not that that was such a bad thing).  It wasn't that I couldn't Facebook or Twitter or Blog for three days that had my granny panties in a twist.  Really.

What had me panicking was the start of my second seminary class.  Today.  It's an online class and as of Saturday I really didn't have a clue how that was going to work out.  I'd planned to figure it out over the weekend.  This is where I feel like I should include a profound quote along the lines of  "You know what they say about the best laid plans of mice and men...."

The diagnostic help on the computer said there was no Internet connection.  Well, no...freakin'...kidding.  The Comcast service line tried a "refresh signal" and walked me through powering the modem down and checking loose cables.  None of that worked so it had to be a bad cable.  Off to Radio Shack we went for a new one and the (much more helpful than Comcast) clerk told us to try plugging the laptop directly into the modem if the cable didn't work.

The cable didn't work and neither did plugging in the laptop.  I called Comcast and whined asked very nicely if I could pleeeeeease get a technician out here today because I needed to start a class. 

Now, I know you won't believe this...

Not only did the guy come out today.

He came while I was home between bus runs.

And he fixed it. 

Quickly.

And he wore those green surgical slippers to keep from getting my floors dirty.

(The dustbunnies and I had a good laugh over that one!)

And, truthfully....

He was cuuuuute.

But most importantly, he fixed it.

By pulling the battery out of the modem so it powered down completely.  Not an issue with a regular modem, but ours handles the phone and Internet so it has the battery backup and therefore the regular powering down didn't actually reboot the thing.

At least it was something simple and it's done and I got to look at my class stuff and I'm good.  Mondays as class day simply means that's when the assignments are posted.

Whew!

5 comments:

Ellen aka Ellie said...

When this happens to us, will you remind me what to do?

Stacy said...

I will. Tim said he even asked Comcast's guy on the phone about the battery (I had no idea there was one) and was told not to touch it, that it had nothing to do with anything. :P

Claudya Martinez said...

So happy it worked out. I've been having horrid internet issues and I finally got someone that was helpful and fixed it for me. I can't tell you what a relief it was and I don't even have an important class I'm taking.

Michelle said...

We are always having problems with our computer.
Our son knows a lot about computers and is able to fix some issues.
However, the cable company has had to either replace the modem or the cable.
It can be so draining, especially when you need it for school.
One of our son's has to do homework on the computer. So when it goes out I feel like screaming. UGH

I'm so glad your computer problem was resolved quickly.

Good luck in your classes.

Stacy said...

Mami...If I'm honest, it was "partly" the inability to blog, Tweet and Facebook that had me freaking out.

Michelle...I honestly can't think of any other thing that gets me in a panic like computer troubles. Computers are still all shrouded in magical, mystical secrecy as far as I'm concerned. I have no idea how to fix them.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...