November 25, 2011

Enough Is Enough, 30 Days of Thankfulness - Day 25

I wanted to be in a funk yesterday.  I really tried to be in a funk.  I was grumpy in the morning.  Then I was melancholy. I was downright pouty about our son and his family never spending Thanksgiving with us.  I wallowed in self-pity about how all I ever wanted was a close, loving family, but have two kids who seem to have grown up with the desire to be anywhere else but here.  I really tried.  I dug a pretty good pit and was getting pretty comfortable in it.  I was doing a number on everyone else's mood, too.

But...

The first quote from yesterday's post kept haunting me...that one about the person who sits by the fire, but doesn't give thanks for it, it's like he doesn't have a fire....that the thankful person enjoys a continual feast.  Then I thought about all the things I've been learning about thankfulness from my spiritual formation class and from the speakers, especially Ann Voskamp, at Relevant '11.

Guess what?

I found that I couldn't stay in my hole of despair.  I wanted to enjoy the day and be grateful and glad for what I had, so I started to crawl out of the muck.  I looked around and counted the good things.  And I thanked God.  With each thing I found to be grateful for, the pit filled in that much more until I was back standing on solid ground.

Do I have everything I dream of?  No.  Do I have a perfect family that belongs in a Hallmark movie?  Goodness, no!  But what I do have is enough.  Actually, it's more than enough if I remember to be thankful for it.

So, today I am thankful for lessons learned and taken to heart.

In everything give thanks.
~ I Thessalonians 5:18

1 comment:

Ellen aka Ellie said...

Perhaps because I divorced when Mac was young, perhaps because I've watched too many families be hurt by holidays, but I'm okay with not everyone being together on those special days.

Instead, I find the days we are together more special.

Does that make sense?

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...