January 02, 2012

Resolutions

Happy New Year to everyone!  I normally dread this time of year.  The let down after the holidays combined with the bleak, gray, blah-ness of Pennsylvania in January has the power to sink me into a pit of gloom that is hard to shake.  That's not going to happen this year.  That's New Year's resolution #1.

Why am I feeling confident enough to resolve not to get depressed this month?  Because of New Year's resolution #2, which is continuing on in this journey that started with reading Ann Voskamp's book, One Thousand Gifts.  I will continue to write down the small, every day things I find to be thankful for and I will make it all the way to 1000.  It's impossible to wallow in depression if you are focused on being grateful for the blessings you are given every minute, every hour, of every day.

I got the idea for New Year's resolution #3 from a woman at church on New Year's Eve.  She said she stays up every year after her husband goes to bed and asks God, "What is it you want from me this year?"  And then she simply sits and waits to hear His answer.  I liked the idea, but thought it was pretty broad.  I changed it asking God every single morning, "What is it you want from me today?  What do you want me to do?"  I'm excited to hear the answers I will receive.

Resolution #4 came to me during worship time at church on New Year's Eve.  Last year the ladies at church did a Bible study on the Titus 2 woman.  It was an eye-opener for me.  I had never spent much time on Titus and it was amazing how much direction there is in just a few short verses.  I started to make changes in my life, but life has a way of getting busy and I was drawn away from my efforts.  God whispered very plainly in my ear Saturday night that this is the year he wants me to become a Titus 2 woman or plainly, the woman He designed me to be.

I have other resolutions on my list....eating healthier, exercising, losing weight, being intentional about friendship, spending more time in the Word, being more financially responsible, weighing my words to make sure they build up and encourage only....but really they are all just sub-resolutions under being a Titus 2 woman.

So, it looks like it's going to be a busy year for me with so much work to do.  I'm thinking I should find myself a t-shirt that says "Pardon Our Mess While We Remodel" or "Under Construction" or maybe just wrap myself in some of the caution tape my husband uses on construction sites.  LOL



Keeping on target, here are some more everyday blessings:

56.  Clear goals to keep a life on track.


57.  Ornaments decorated with a granddaughters small "paw" print.


58.  Blood infections caught early enough for a son to be at home for Christmas.


59.  Quiet holiday celebrations filled with family and friends.


60.  Jobs to get up and go to...even on Monday in the cold and snow.


61.  The clutching hand of an elderly aunt trusting me to keep her steady on her feet.


62.  Ribbons, bows, candles, wreaths, and all things glittery packed away until another Christmas.


63.  Silly feathers glued in hair because they represent a happy time spent with a daughter.


64.  Not having a ton of cookies or ham leftover.


65.  Excited children going back to school and telling about their holidays.

4 comments:

Beth Zimmerman said...

Those are great resolutions! I'm just focusing on THANKFUL and hoping for lots of crossover! :)

Stacy said...

I think mine all kind of go together so it's all sort of one ginormous all-purpose resolution. lol

Rochelle@AFamilyofLooneys said...

Stacy I think it is a great resolution. I can't wait to see the journey that you have this year.

Stacy said...

Thanks, Rochelle. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...