April 14, 2011

Surprise, Surprise, Surprise!



It's going to be tough to share a song that you'd never expect me to like, given that I've shared what an ecclectic mix of music I grew up listening to, but I think maybe this song will surprise you at least a little.





Bobby Vinton was from the Pittsburgh area and as a young man my dad and his friends would drive down to the dance clubs on the weekend to hear the likes of him, Perry Como, and Andy Williams.  It was my mom, however, that was the big Bobby Vinton fan.  You've heard a lot of his songs, I'm sure, even if you don't realize it....Lavender Blue, She Wore Blue Velvet, Red Roses for a Blue Lady.  My Melody of Love probably wasn't as big a hit as the others, but this area was heavily populated with people of Polish descent (many were first generation Americans) so the polka twist and Polish words made it very popular here.  I don't really know what the words mean and I'm sure I make a mess of them when I sing it, but it brings back happy memories and I do like it.

day 15 – a song that describes you
day 16 – a song that you used to love but now hate
day 17 – a song that you hear often on the radio
day 18 – a song that you wish you heard on the radio
day 19 – a song from your favorite album
day 20 – a song that you listen to when you’re angry
day 21 – a song that you listen to when you’re happy
day 22 – a song that you listen to when you’re sad
day 23 – a song that you want to play at your wedding
day 24 – a song that you want to play at your funeral
day 25 – a song that makes you laugh
day 26 – a song that you can play on an instrument
day 27 – a song that you wish you could play
day 28 – a song that makes you feel guilty
day 29 – a song from your childhood
day 30 – your favorite song at this time last year

2 comments:

quilly said...

I like Bobby Vinton -- and I have no personal connection to him!

Stacy said...

Well, that makes two of us. And my mom. LOL

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...