June 23, 2011

Some of My Favorite Music

 

This week Beth asks what your personal top 10 songs are.  Wow, I listen to music virtually all the time.  When I'm sleeping is the only time there isn't something playing.
Beth picked a song from each era in her life.  I don't know if I can do that.  I'm just going to try to pick my 10 most favorite songs ever.



1.  Piano Man - The fraternity my friends and I liked to party at in college ended all their parties with everyone in a circle, arms around each other, belting this song out.





2.  I Should've Been a Cowboy - What can I say, it was Toby's first hit and the first time I ever heard him.  It's a great song...I love singing along.  Alone.  In the car.  Where no one can hear me.





3.  Rocky Mountain High - John Denver was the first "grown up" music I chose for myself.  It was the 70's and my family was living in a wildlife preserve here in the mountains of southwestern Pennsylvania.  John's music evoked the times and the atmosphere.  Hearing him even now takes me back like nothing else to those days.





4.  Take It Easy - In the late 70's and early 80's my friends and I were all about The Eagles.





5. Stayin' Alive - Was anyone coming of age in the 70's not affected by Saturday Night Fever and the Bee Gees?





6.  Forever and Ever, Amen - This is the song that brought me back to country music after years of rock, punk, and new wave.





7.  John Deere Green - This song was a huge hit around the same time my dad was slowly losing his battle with cancer.  He loved John Deere equipment and my kids knew that and latched onto this song with a vengeance.  We lived in a house that was over a garage at the time and you had to go up a steep flight of steps to get to the living area.  Those steps needed painting and my son chose John Deere green for the color.  About 2 1/2 weeks before my dad died, we celebrated my son's 7th birthday in that house.  Mom called and said they wouldn't be at the party because there was no way Dad could navigate the stairs.  A little while later she called back and said they were coming because Dad said he wasn't going to miss his grandson's party.  Dad couldn't walk up the stairs so he sat down on the bottom step and ever so slowly eased himself up one step at a time with all of us hovering and holding his oxygen.  It took about 30 minutes to get up those steps, but he did it.  Later, he went down those stupid steps in the same fashion.  It was the last place he ever went except back to the hospital.  Every time I hear this song I cry, but I remember, too, how much my dad loved his family and how strong and determined a man he was.





8.  Paradise by the Dashboard Light - Meatloaf. 'Nuff said.





9.  Before I got married I spent my nights dancing.  Okay...drinking and dancing, but lots and lots of dancing and Billy Idol was one of my favorites to dance to.





10.  All Summer Long - No particular reason.  I just love, love, LOVE this song!
Well, there you go...my personal top ten.  For today.  I've second guessed myself on all but about 3 of them.  Music is life...how do you narrow it down to just 10?

6 comments:

Ellen aka Ellie said...

I don't think I could do this, come up with ten...not that I don't have favorites, but it all depends on my mood!

Stacy said...

I know, that's why it was so hard. I could pick country favorites, new wave favorites, rock favorites, Christian favorites...

Stacy said...

In watching these videos I've realized something. I'm in the process of growing my hair out. I have the same hair now as 1978 Barry Gibb.

Beth Zimmerman said...

I was with you until 8, 9, and 10. I've always thought John Deere Green was a great song. Now it's even better.

Beth Zimmerman said...

P.S. There actually is ONE Kid Rock song that I like. He and Cheryl Crow did a duet a few years back. Something about a picture on a bedside table. I like singing along with that one.

P.P.S. The BeeGees would have made it if I had done a disco list in addition to the other FOUR! :)

Stacy said...

Well, you've done so many...why not a disco list?? That Kid Rock song? It's called "Picture."

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...