May 16, 2012

Patience Is a Virtue, But....

I am not good at waiting.  Patience is one of those virtues I do not come by naturally and God continually finds creative and amusing ways to try and teach it to me.  His best joke so far.....making me a school bus driver.

source

Anywhooo.....I'm sitting here waiting for a guy from our church to show up.  I talked to him last night and thought we'd confirmed he'd come around after I got home from work this morning.  Apparently, I was mistaken.  Sigh.  He's a nice guy, does great work, but he isn't the most reliable about time.  It might be a cultural thing.  I don't have much experience with Mexican culture but I think it's a little more laid back than ours.  It's so hard to wait, though.  I want my yard looking spiffy now that the weather is nice and my back and hip won't take bending to pull weeds all day....the hubby doesn't have time....and the princess can't be bothered so I'm reduced to hiring someone.

You know, I really think God does these things on purpose to teach me to wait patiently.  Impatience is a big problem for me and where most of the conflict around here comes from....someone (quite often ME) wants something done and because they asked now, they expect it to be done now.  The person on the other end of the request usually doesn't see the same urgency so puts the requested task off and BOOM! tempers flare.  I'm not so good at waiting on God's timing, either.  I'm working on it, but it's a struggle.  Actually, it's a real catch-22.  I want to be patient...and I want to be patient NOW.

source

8 comments:

Wendy S. said...

I can so relate to not having the patience to be patient. I know some white people who show up late or don't show up at all when they say they're going to, so I don't think it's necessarily a cultural thing, it's just frustrating is what it is. I don't know how you have the patience to be a school bus driver. Kudos to you, Stacy :)

Marianne (Mare) Baker Ball said...

A friend told me years ago, don't ever pray for patience, b/c the only way to learn it is for God to give you challenges that will make you learn it...and it's aggravating! My father told me years later that impatience is really a form of arrogance...thinking the world should operate on my time table. Something to think about.

Unknown said...

Well I can honestly say that having four kids has helped make me a great deal more patient than I used to be. I prayed to be a patient and wise person and God has definitely placed me in situations where I've been taught and have grown in those areas. Patience is hard but so worthwhile and can eliminate so much drama :-) When I was more impatient there was more drama and tempers flared as you put it. :-)

Unknown said...

I completely agree with everything you said :-)

Beth Zimmerman said...

A to the men! :)

enthusiastically, dawn said...

And so then, my friend how is this whole patience lesson from God working for you...? ;)

Love the bus picture. ANd you have to be patient to get in a vehicle LOADED with kids willingly and then drive on the road with the ..."creative" driving that happens on a regular basis.
Summer's coming!

Rochelle@AFamilyofLooneys said...

I am the same way. I use to be much worse before the twins were born. I have had to learn patience with them.

Stacy said...

Wendy...it all depends on the situation whether I have the patience to be patient.

Mare...Amen, to that!! Hmmm...impatience is arrogance? Probably. It's kind of like shyness is really all about ego.

Faith...Kids definitely teach patience! You are right, the drama happens when we're impatient and tempers flare...which usually happens when we're tired and stressed and not thinking about our reactions.

Beth... :D

Dawn...Oh, he keeps chipping away at me. I wait, but I don't always like it. Usually I try to find something to do to keep myself thinking about other things.

I love that bus picture, too. It's my Twitter profile background. :)

Rochelle...Thank goodness for kids to teach us patience...and humility. LOL

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...