November 20, 2012

Tell Me About It, Tuesday

What a nice weekend I had.  As mentioned in my previous post, Saturday was our wedding anniversary.  We started the celebration by going out with two other couples Friday evening to a local seafood buffet (we are all seafood LOVERS).  They gifted us with a bottle of wine and all manner of chocolate goodies.

The boss man worked on Saturday but was supposed to come home early enough to go to a surprise party for another friend's 50th birthday.  It was a big deal because in the last two years he's nearly died from a ruptured appendix and then was diagnosed with colon cancer and has had a long, hard road with that.  He was just given the "cancer free" news from his doctor.  Wonderful news because his cancer was very progressed and in the beginning the doctors didn't offer a lot of hope.

Well, Tim didn't come home, choosing to keep working because he's on a tight schedule with a deadline looming at work.  To say I was a little "miffed" is probably an understatement.  I ended up heading out (late) to the party by myself, but guess what?  I never made it there, either.  I was in the complete wrong town.  I kept trying to call our friends to see where I was supposed to be but wasn't reaching them.  They said they  tried to call me a few times but it never reached my cell phone.  By the time we finally connected I was closer to home than the party and there was only an hour of the party left, half of which would be taken up in driving there.  I opted to just go home and promised to bring the hobo beans on Sunday.  It turned out I wasn't the only one who couldn't find the place.  There were several others, including our friend's mother.

By the time Tim got home I'd cooled down and we made up and went out to Longhorn Steakhouse for, what else, steaks!  Oh, and the mandatory (for me) watermelon margarita.  We also hit the mall for a while where Tim let me pick out a ring for our anniversary.  It's so pretty.....a silver band that is cut out and looks like very delicate lace with tiny blue topaz stones set in it.  I'd post a picture but I don't have it.  It had to be sent for sizing.

We started out Sunday morning just lazing around watching TV and reading the paper, but then Tim went to fix a water line for a friend at her pediatric practice.  It didn't take long.  I got called out to go see about an older man from church.  He is diabetic and on dialysis and lately he's been having heart problems, too.  He doesn't have any family so relies on a few of us in the church.  Apparently, he fell and he injured his arm when he did.  He called our pastor who is the pediatrician Tim was doing the work for but she was on rounds and unable to go to him so she called me.  He takes blood thinners and had said he was bleeding so she was afraid for him.  I found him sitting on the couch watching TV.  He didn't want to go to the ER and after reassuring our pastor that his injury was a scrape not a cut, she relented.  I had to go buy some bandages that were big enough to cover it.  Once that was done, I put an ice pack on it.  He was doing fine and eating apple pie when I left.

In the afternoon we drove up to our friends' home (the one who had the birthday) and Tim visited with him while his wife and I went to a basket bash to benefit the aunt of one of my co-workers.  The woman had breast cancer before and recently found out the cancer is back in her brain, lungs and somewhere else.  It was amazing!  They had 161 baskets donated, over a dozen larger gifts for raffle, 50/50 tickets, special tickets, and a huge array of desserts, snacks and drinks.  I heard they sold over 1000 tickets for the baskets.  No idea what the final $$$ tally was, but I'm sure it was good.  They had over 300 people turn out.  So heart-warming to see something like that.

We also stopped to see Tim's great-aunt who is in the hospital and had dinner at Eat 'n' Park.

I had thought life would slow down once the election was over and I wasn't volunteering at the GOP office any longer, but nope.  Just as busy, but in different ways.

See you tomorrow for the Hodgepodge!

5 comments:

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

Wow, what a weekend! Too bad you weren't able to make it to your friend's birthday party, but it sounds like you made up for it on Sunday.

I'm curious - what are hobo beans?

Seafood buffet? Now that sounds awesome - DH and I are seafood lovers too. So much so that our trips are always to the beach (we love the beach, too) and we eat nothing but seafood while there (other than breakfast).

Judy said...

I am exhausted reading this! I admire your stamina - - haha!

HeY J said...

Go girlie go wow what a great weekend of going!! Happy Thanksgiving ;]

Stacy said...

Kathy...posted the hobo beans recipe in a comment on your blog. Vacations at the beach for the seafood? We'd sooo get along. :)

Judy...If it makes you feel better my arthritis was kicking in Saturday night and walking across the room was exhausting...a tour of the mall about killed me.

HeY J...Thank you and the same to you!

enthusiastically, dawn said...

Phew, you are making me tired! Steak and Margarita sound divine ...or at least yumalicious to me! Hey- Happy Thanksgiving, my friend!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...