August 07, 2012

Treasures

Tuesdays are kind of a blogging bust around here and today's not really going to break that trend, but while I'm waiting for my hair to dry a little bit so I can straighten it before taking Megan to put in more job applications and the dogs to the vet for checkups and shots....I thought I'd share a few treasures that have come into my hands recently.

Tim's great (grand?) aunt lives alone and has no children, just a veritable army of nieces and nephews, is 88 and apparently moving into the same stage my own aunt went through a few years ago....that of ridding herself of the stuff of this life.  She even seems to have lost some of her enjoyment of auctions, which have always been a HUGE part of her and her late husband's life. She's been choosing to go to church with us on Saturdays rather than go to auctions and collect more stuff.

Anyway, a couple of weeks ago Megan and I took her to lunch for her birthday and when we brought her home she decided to gift us with items from her attic....all things she's bought at auctions over the years.  She gave Megan two sets of dishes for when she gets her own place, two ceramic Christmas trees, and I forget what else....it pretty much filled my little Fusion up.

For me, she had:

A sweet little stool (modeled by Daisy) that's
just the right height to set your drink on in the living room.

Fenton milk glass....I put a jar candle in it and am
currently searching for seasonal florals to
put around it.

Crochet doilies, that may or may not have
been made by another aunt.

And this gorgeous cranberry glassware:
4 goblets, 4 cordials, and 4 dessert cups.
I also found a beautiful crochet rag rug like my grandmother used to make.  No picture of it, though, as it is currently hanging on the line in my mom's basement waiting for the day Miss Daisy grows out of chewing everything in site.  Rugs are a particular favorite.  She has destroyed one large area rug and all of my throw rugs have runs and threads pulled.  Sigh.  It's the worst part of having a puppy and she is the worst chewer I think I've ever had.  Nothing distracts her.  She has even pulled wallpaper off the wall!

Well, I'm off to get ready and do that running.  Enjoy this beautiful day!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...