May 02, 2013

Getting a Handle on Pondering

It's Thursday so today I'm joining Brenda and the others for the weekly blog hop with a purpose and that purpose would be.....pondering!  Brenda gives a prompt and participants ponder on it in any way they choose.

This week's prompt:  handle


Hmmm.....let me get a handle on this handle thing.  Well, there you go, right off the bat, there's one way to look at "handle."  Getting a handle on something, unless you are very literal and are actually screwing a handle onto something, means to acquire an understanding or knowledge of something.

I kind of gave away another meaning of "handle" up there.  A handle is a part of a thing specifically made to be held in a hand.

Watch a rerun of Smokey and the Bandit and you'll quickly be reminded that back in the 70s, everybody wanted to know "What's your handle?"  If you don't remember the 70s and the CB radio craze, your
source
"handle" was the name you went by on the radio.  Confession time....mine was Bubblegum.  I was 12 so keep your comments on the total lameness of that to yourself.

You can "handle" something in more ways than one.  The first way is to have touch, feel, pick up or carry with your hands.  The second way to "handle" something is to deal with or manage it.

But being the music lover that I am, I have to say this was the first thing that popped into my mind when I read the prompt was "handle."



6 comments:

Tami AKA My Kid's Mom said...

Oh the CB days! My handle was Pandora - which was the name of my car and is not the name of my cat - guess I have always liked the name.

Brenda Youngerman said...

i remember the CB days..... breaker. breaker. 1-9

Thanks for pondering with me!

retired not tired said...

I remember CB radios although I never actually had one. The car was always full of kids so I always had lots of little handlers. I loved "Smokey and the Bandit"

LA Botchar said...

I kind of remember the CB days...I was a bit young to have a handle of my own, but I do remember my uncle talking on the CB and being fascinated by all the strange phrases.

Great video choice!

Chatty Crone said...

I never owned a CB radio but I thought they were cool.

And when you get a handle on things - haha - let me know.

sandie

Josie Two Shoes said...

That's one handle that didn't come to mind, but should have, I grew up in those days, Papa Bear still has one sitting around here somewhere!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...