May 01, 2013

It's a Beautiful Day in the Hodgepodge Neighborhood

source
It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood.  I've always wanted to have a neighbor just like YOU, so, would you be mine, could you be mine, won't you be my neighbor?  Truly, it is seriously gorgemous today!

Just FYI.....I happen to live in the original neighborhood.  Yep, Latrobe is the hometown of Fred Rogers.  Hang around long enough and somebody will point out his childhood home and you'll see other familiar names from the show around town, too.  Like McFeely (which was his mother's maiden name and is his middle name) and Okonak.  Someone will undoubtedly tell you to hit the local amusement park where you can ride a real trolley through and interactive, animated Neighborhood of Make-Believe.  Oh, and he's buried here, too, but nobody will tell you where....even though we know.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1.  This week's Hodgepodge is Volume 123.  What's something you've done recently that was as easy as 1-2-3? 
~ Tonight's supper will fall into that category.  In honor of the beautiful weather we'll be having grilled burgers, corn on the cob, and fried zuchinni.

2.  The Wednesday Hodgepodge also happens to fall on the first day of May ...what is something you may do this month? 
~ We may go to Erie over Memorial Day weekend.  We both have family up there that we could visit and we promised the sister going on vacation with us in July that we'd visit the wineries near Erie and stock up on some of the fruit blend wines her husband likes so much.

3. The Englishman Horace Walpole is credited as saying, "The world is a tragedy to those who feel, but a comedy to those who think"  How do you see it?
~ I suppose it could be a little bit of both.  If you watch enough of the news you're bound to think we're doomed.  I think we are still in the middle, though moving more toward tragedy.  On the whole, though, I try to focus on the positive and just appreciate the wonder of God's creation.

4.  May is National Hamburger Month...how often do you eat a burger? What are your must-haves when it comes to burgers?  I assume you vegetarians won't be celebrating so tell us what you'd like instead? 
~ We're actually having burgers today!  We usually don't have them more than once a month.  I like mine with ketchup (has to be Heinz....it's a 'Burgh thing) on the bottom bun, under the burger and then cheese melted on the burger and lettuce and tomato on top.

5. Pansies, petunias, geraniums, impatiens...of the four mentioned, which is your favorite in a patio pot? Will there be pots on your patio this spring? (Or whenever spring comes to your part of the globe?) Who does the gardening at your house?
~ Yes, there will be pots!  I always have pots.  I like geraniums and impatiens.  Pansies and petunias are pretty, but they tend to get fried in our sun....there isn't a lot of shade anywhere that I put pots.

6. When did you last (literally or figuratively) shout "Mayday, Mayday!"
~ Figuratively, I'd say it was when I wiped out on the ice in the parking lot at work and couldn't get up.  It would have been literally if I'd thought of it.  That would have been really funny.

7.  Say farewell to your April in ten words or less. 
~ Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

8.  Insert your own random thought here. 
~ The parental units are in Texas today.  They only have about another 150 miles to go to reach Houston.  They went down there for the NRA's national convention.  Megan and I both asked for Duck Commander/Duck Dynasty stuff for our gift.  We know Willie will be there because he is running for the board of directors.  Mom says she's going to get her picture with him so she can tell us "neener, neener, neener."  Thanks Mom.  Unless somebody points him out to her, she probably won't even know him if she falls over him since I don't think she's ever watched the show.

6 comments:

Joyce said...

It's gorgeous here today too...we could grill burgers, but hubs will not be home for dinner so I'll probably eat popcorn instead. I love the Duck Dynasty team!

Rebecca Jo said...

I like the comment to April.. I couldnt agree more!

Debby@Just Breathe said...

I suppose I missed dinner, sounds like an awesome one! I seem to always she the tragedy around me. Like your farewell to April.

Rachael said...

Great post! I will begin celebrating hamburger month today! Happy May...day

enthusiastically, dawn said...

Oh you are cracking me up... I love Mr. Rogers and was also creeped out with it when I was young...I think it was the puppets that creeped me out. I never really got puppets. I'm to newsy to see what's behind the scenes, I am the one asking, why? why? why? to the utter annoyance of everyone. ANyway- love the ten words or less ...lol. So long April. ;)

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

I knew that Arnold Palmer was from Latrobe, but I didn't know that Mr. Rogers was, too.

Your farewell to April is exactly what I wanted to say, but didn't think of it.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...